Some foods are perfect just the way they are & Key Lime Pie is one of those desserts. As one of my hubby’s favorites, this HML loves to surprise him with this yummy dessert, especially during the warmer months. Although it needs to be served chilled, this easy to make recipe is sure to bring many a smiles this spring & summer to your friends & family.
The main piece of advice, from one Haute Mom Living to another, is to make sure this pie is COMPLETELY cooled down, before putting in the fridge to chill, ( as this will allow the filling to settle) making the consistency perfect when you go to serve it.
KEY LIME PIE RECIPE:
- Makes 8 servings
- For crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For filling
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice
- For topping
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (4-cup) glass pie plate.
- Bake crust in middle of oven 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
- For the filling and to bake the pie:
- Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and whisk until combined well (mixture will thicken slightly).
- Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Home made Whip Cream:
- Just before serving, beat cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Serve pie topped with cream.
Lastly I like to garnish with fresh wedges of key limes, it makes the presentation just that much prettier, NOT that it really needs it! ENJOY!
Photos by Marta Villalba Photography